Saturday, May 28, 2011

Home sweet home

After a long month of painting we moved into our new house in Middlebury. I quickly found that having a garbage disposal and dishwasher in a kitchen make life so much easier. And speaking of kitchens- it is so nice to have some extra space in there and good knifes and cookware. Makes cooking that much easier.

I'm also loving the fact that M is taking much longer naps. I guess that extra space is using up more of his energy. He also has his own room which I'm sure helps immensely.

We've wanted our own garden for a while and as new homeowners this was at the top of our list of things to do. Though we have plenty of space for a garden we found that our soil is clay which isn't great for growing certain things. Particularly when it rains as much as it has this year and the ground doesn't get a chance to dry out. We decided we would build raised beds for a garden.

So... shortly after moving in and two days before leaving for Paris (Finn had meetings for work and M and I went along for some adventurous sightseeing) we had lumber delivered and built 2 raised beds. The next day we had soil delivered. The dump truck tried to drive across the lawn to drop it off into the beds, but it got stuck in the mud shortly after driving onto the lawn and ultimately had to get towed. I guess that's what you get when you have a ton of rain and clay soil. So after many many wheelbarrow trips transporting soil to the raised beds it was complete. The day of our flight I planted the seeds that should have already been planted this spring that we simply had not had time to plant yet like peas, beats, lettuce and a blueberry bush that a kind friend gave to us. The rest will get planted sometime in June including our first tomatoes, peppers and broccoli plants that we grew from seed and are inside right now.

Since we've been renting in Middlebury for about 3 months, it doesn't feel all that different settling in now. Just much more comfortable. And did I mention that we have the best neighbors!? They seriously might be the nicest people I've ever met.


1 comment:

Gatz Family said...

how cute is your house??!! I love it! We miss you guys!