Saturday, April 19, 2008

European adventure

We have been back for a couple of weeks now, but it's taken forever to update our blog. Life is great but soo busy right now! I only have 3 more weeks of school left before I graduate and we are moving to Boston next weekend! I also started working part time at Mass General hospital two weeks ago. So far I am really liking it and learning lots.

Well Germany and Italy were both really beautiful and we had a lot of fun. We spent a week in Berlin and Potsdam and got to see so many neat schloss (castles.) Neither of us knew any German so it was definitely an adventure.

We went a lot of different places in Italy. We started out in Rome, drove down to the Amalfi coast which was one of the neatest and most gorgeous places I have ever been. There were lemons and mandarine trees all over the place and they were delicious! It was also a little scary driving though- the road was a one lane highway on the edge of a huge cliff way up above the ocean that was extremely windy. The locals didn't seem to mind though because they drove about 80 miles an hour and passed each other around blind corners without even flinching. It was crazy!

Next we drove down to southern Italy and spent some time in Cosenza. We stayed with the nicest Italian family ever that Erik knew from his mission. Maria Rossa's food was so dang good and I tried to watch her so I could learn how to cook some good Italian dishes. After that we took a ferry to Sicily and spent some time in Palermo where we got mugged. Yep that right, we got mugged! It actually turned out to be a great story though.

Erik lived in Palermo for some time on his mission and before we went on our trip he kept talking about how great the food was there. We had just spent the day sightseeing and shopping and grabbed some dinner when it started to rain a little bit. We decided to go eat in our car. When we got to our car I realized they didn't give us any utensils so we had to make do. I got out of the car to get some hand sanitizer out of my backpack that was in the trunk. All of the sudden there was some guy standing less than a foot away from me which totally freaked me out so I yelled stop. Erik was in the drivers seat and turned around when another guy opened the passenger side door and grabbed my purse. They both started to run away and with out even thinking I started chasing after them. I only had 20 Euro in my purse but I needed my passport and camera! The guy ran across the Plaza and ran behind a car and jumped onto his motorcycle and I just missed him. Well Erik was also running behind me and had seen the motorcycle so he ran around the front of the car to cut the guy off and knocked the guy off his motorcycle when he came past. He started yelling in Italian, "where's the purse" and I grabbed the other guy behind the neck and threw him into the car with all my might! I think he was pretty surprised because he backed off immediately. Both of them kept saying take it, we don't want it but I had no idea because I was too worked up to try and understand Italian! The first guy had dropped the purse when he got knocked off the motorcycle so it was underneath the motorcycle. We lifted up the motorcycle, got the purse went back to our car and left Palermo for good!! I briefly contemplated going back for one last gelato but I thought better. It was one of the most exhilirating and scary experiences of my life and I think Erik would agree. It took a while to sink it that it actually happened! I said a little prayer and we sang some hymns on the way back to Cefalu. I was a little bit jumpy for the rest of the trip but so proud of my awesome husband!!!

No comments: