Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Zion 2012

Erik's uncle invited him to do the Subway slot canyon in Zion National Park as he had gotten a permit and had room for another person to join the crew.  The kids and I came along and we all stayed at their awesome vacation home near Zion. We had so much fun hanging out with that side of his family for the weekend. The weather was perfect and since it was only our 2nd time to Zion we were easily able to do some new hikes there.
The first of many wildlife sightings in the park- a big horn sheep.

M pointing out deer on our hike.

Father & son- M sporting his sweet new camelbak

Emerald pools hike




Not quite sure about being tossed in the air.

Loves being tossed in the air.
Family photo

Tarantula siting on the way down.
M getting a closer look




While Erik and the guys were off canyoneering, Laura and I took the kids to do the Overlook Hike. It was a good hike but a little nerve racking for me since M didn't want to be held onto and there were some steep drops at various points.

On our last day there I  came across this guy as I went to unzip my bag to change into some clothes for a run. I'm not accustomed to finding scorpions so naturally this nearly scared me to death. We never saw any others but I still shook all my clothing out when I got home and was unpacking just to be sure. Google search did not serve to calm my fears in this instance. I quickly came across a link that stated: "Lucky, there is only one deadly scorpion in the USA; the Bark Scorpion. The bad thing is they are now being discovered in Kane County Utah." (Though we were in Kane county i'm quite sure this was not the infamous bark scorpion.)  Just typing and looking at this picture is creeping me out! Such a fun trip though and M loved having some little boys to run around and play with. 

1 comment:

Mark and Kim said...

That is exactly what I do when I come across something creepy--google and get more creeped out!! What a fun trip though. Were those some Keens I saw on Magnus??