Back when we lived in central Massachusetts, we discovered the concept of community supported agriculture (csa) which we came to love. There was a farm close by called Stillmans and once a week we picked up a box of delicious produce.It is said that foods are best enjoyed in season and that is so true. Each week the box included a variety of fruits and vegetables that were fresh and ripe. We also got acquainted with some less well known veggies (at least to us) like kohlrabi and kale. Fortunately, there was always a newsletter that had a few recipe suggestions so we could figure out ways to prepare them. I generally tend to buy a lot of the same fruits and veggies when grocery shopping so it was nice to get a few different things along with the usual things like corn, blueberries, tomatoes etc.
After moving to the Boston area two years ago, it wasn't really convenient so we no longer participated. This year we found out that they have a pickup somewhat close by and we are signed up again. It might sound a little crazy that I'm so excited, but after growing up with a large garden in my backyard, I miss having fresh produce (but I don't miss weeding!) My dad is an awesome gardener and I hope one day when I have a house and yard that I will be able to have my own garden. Most of all, I hope that I will actually be able to grow stuff.The other good news in food this week is that I got a new cookbook recommended by a friend of mine called Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone. I ordered it on Amazon and it arrived the very next day. Oh how I love the convenience of Amazon.

No comments:
Post a Comment